The Award Winning Private Number Plate Specialists

0203 600 1234

Mon-Fri 9am-8pm

Private parking firm complaints rise by 41%

Figures from 2014 have shown there’s been a 41 per cent rise in the number of complaints against private parking firms. Reports of the behaviour of companies came to light last year as many more private car parks, such as service stations and supermarkets, had automatic number plate readers installed so that drivers’ movements could be tracked. With many firms automatically charging upwards of £60 for overstays, it’s unsurprising that both those with private number plates and traditional registrations have become frustrated.

New results from the Citizens Advice Bureau have shown that the number of people using the charity’s website for advice has soared to 155,000. In many cases, people want to know whether the fines are legal and if not, how they can get out of them. Whilst the penalties aren’t a criminal charge, such as a speeding fine, for example, companies will chase fine recipients until they’ve paid. Once someone has overstayed their welcome, companies pay the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) a small administration fee to get people’s personal details. Letters are then sent out, and money demanded.

Under civil law, staying too long on private land should result in a fine that’s proportional to the amount of business lost by the land owner. For example, if someone overstays by a few minutes in a car park that costs £1 per hour to park, it could be argued that £1 was lost because another customer wasn’t able to park. However, many fees are nearer the £100 mark. For those who receive fines, there are several steps to take. Firstly, any ticket received from a member of the Independent Parking Commission (IPC) or British Parking Association (BPA) should be replied to immediately with reasons as to why a fine shouldn’t be paid. If paying within a fortnight, then a reduction of at least 40 per cent should be offered. Meanwhile, if the penalty is over £100, drivers should check that the BPA and IPC have been informed in advance. Evidence is vital when applying for a fine to be overruled. Therefore, information such as photos, parking permits and tickets need to be provided.

Meanwhile, Gillian Guy, the chief executive of Citizens Advice, said: “The public is paying for parking firms’ errors. Broken ticket machines, hidden signs, contact numbers that just ring out, and charges that fail to take into account emergency situations are leading to unfair charges. The sharp rise in parking problems reveals an industry that is letting drivers down. Parking charges should be a deterrent but should also reflect the actual loss rather than just the whim of the firm. We’re concerned firms are chasing drivers for fees entirely disproportionate to the length of time that a car overstays.”

Post comments...

Search over 40 million plates

Welcome to the Click4reg industry blog. Get your daily fix of the latest industry news and information for private number plates and motoring enthusiasts.

More Blog Posts








© 2021 Click4Reg Ltd

(Registered in England and Wales) Company No. 08578609 | Vat No. 165583776


Tel: 0203 600 1234  |  Email:

Click4Reg offers private registrations from both stock numbers & private sellers. DVLA is a registered trade mark of the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency. Click4Reg Ltd is not affiliated to the DVLA or DVLA Personalised Registrations. Click4Reg Ltd is a recognised reseller of DVLA registrations, please see our terms & conditions for further details.

Registered office address: Click4Reg, Unit 2 Conqueror Industrial Estate, Moorhurst Road, St Leonards On Sea, East Sussex, TN38 9NA.

Hitachi Capital (UK) PLC (FRN:704348) & Specialist Lending Ltd (FRN:422339) are Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Click4reg Limited FRN: 630511 trading as Click4reg are Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. We are a credit broker, not a lender - credit is subject to status and affordability, and is provided by a panel of lenders of whom we have a commercial relationship.