Top car buying websites
By: Louis Cooper
Last updated: 02 September 2015
The days of cutting out newspaper ads and ringing your local garage to see what is on the forecourt are gone. There are now a variety of websites, apps and services to help you in your search for your next set of wheels. Here’s how to get more bang for your buck and where you can find the best deals on the web:
1. Carwow.co.uk is the new car buying site that lets dealers compete over you, literally. All you need to do is fill in the search like you would if you were looking for a specific model, identifying the fuel type, transmission, engine size and the trim which includes modifications right up to the alloys and everything in between, or you can select 'none specific' if you are undecided. Then you enter your postcode and email address then wait for the offers to roll in.
2. Whatcar.com is the one stop for car reviews, advice, awards and valuations. Aside from the mountains of new and used car reviews, they have all the advice and information you need to know on green cars to car insurance, depreciation and a lot more.
3. Motors.co.uk is the best thing since Auto Trader for used car buyers. Auto Trader dominated the used car buying market for many years, until domains started popping up all over the web. And motors.co.uk is unique because together with their app they provide free full history checks on nine out of every ten cars listed on the site so you can have peace of mind with any car you find. They also have a smart search feature which matches cars to what suits you best, whether you’re looking for a head-turning Mercedes-Benz or a family friendly Peugeot 308.
4. Ebay Motors. Probably not your first thought when it comes to buying a car but ebay has some great deals. The trick is to not bid on the first car you see at a great price. Because when you win, it’s done, you’re paying for it. Ebay also has a much wider catalogue than most other sites as they list all vehicle types from classic cars to motorcycles to trucks. Be vigilant and take advantage of all the filters available because there are loads!
5. Cap.co.uk is a great web tool to check the current market value of the car you are looking to buy or sell. All you need to do is enter some personal details in exchange for an accurate sales price estimation. This can help you when buying privately, as you can show the real market value to the seller and it gives you grounds for negotiation.